The YMCA of Southwestern New Brunswick is currently seeking strong leaders within our community to become members of our Board of Directors.
The YMCA relies on the time and dedication given by volunteers just like you. Every hour spent volunteering with us translates into more smiles and better health for our children, families and communities.
The affairs of the YMCA of Southwestern New Brunswick are governed by the Board of Directors, consisting of 8 to 10 people. Members of the Board of Directors include a diverse mix of backgrounds, skills and experiences appropriate to guide the Board’s strategy and proper governance of the YMCA. The Y is an inclusive organization that believes in the unique difference each Board Member brings to the table. We strive to create meaningful spaces and opportunities for diverse perspectives to shape our organization at the leadership level, among staff and volunteers, and across program environments, to the collective benefit of our participants, donors and community at large.
General Selection Criteria
- Demonstrate independence, integrity, sound business judgement and leadership skills;
- Have a reputation for integrity and honesty, the ability to generate public confidence and maintain the confidence of the Y of Southern New Brunswick’s stakeholders;
- Have strong communication skills;
- Have developed relationships with business, community and government leaders;
- Be financially literate or have the potential to become financially literate to a level appropriate for reading and interpreting financial statements of the Y of Greater Saint John;
- Have previous Board experience;
- Have an understanding of business and not for profit organizations;
- Be prepared to commit to the Y through time, talent and treasure;
- Work effectively with others and manage conflict constructively;
- Have sufficient time to fulfill the responsibilities of a Member of the Board of Directors.
Desired Skill Sets:
To strengthen the YMCA’s ability to contribute to our vision, the YMCA’s Nominations Committee is currently seeking Board nominees for the 2024-2026 term with one or more of the following skill sets:
- Financial Expertise and Risk Management – Experience as a CPA/CA or CFO in financial accounting and reporting and not-for-profit finance; experience in risk assessment, risk mitigation, and the implementation of risk management strategies in an organization
- Governance/Strategy – Experience in governance process and/or strategic planning.
- January 5, 2024: Nominations deadline
- February/March 2024: Interviews with candidates (dates to be determined)
- April 24, 2024: Board Meeting to approve
- April 29, 2024: Successful and unsuccessful candidates are notified
- May 15, 2024: Annual General Meeting where Members approve the slate
- Nominations must be received by January 5, 2024
- The term for Board directors elected at the 2024 Annual General Meeting will commence May 15, 2024
- Selected nominees will be asked to complete a criminal record check and the Y volunteer application package